Is your tummy starting to growl a little right now (on the west coast, maybe Mountain time too)? Well, grab a healthy snack for now and then get in the kitchen to cook up Chef Armen’s lunch recommendation of the day –
1 serving of the Earthy Beet Salad
2 stocks of chopped lettuce
1 full beet diced. Either oven roasted or boiled
½ boiled or baked potato, diced
1 oz finely chopped dill
1 oz finely chopped parsley
1 oz finely chopped cilantro
¼ of 1 pickled cucumber minced
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ oz of balsamic vinegar
1 ¾ oz of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ lemon for lemon juice
1. In a bowl, add the chopped lettuce, diced beet, diced potato, dill, parsley, cilantro, and minced pickled cucumber.
2. In the same bowl, add the lemon juice, the balsamic vinegar, and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
3. Toss the salad, add the salt and pepper. Adjust seasoning based on taste and serve in separate bowl.
Falafel for 8 patties
1oz of water
1oz of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1oz of peanut oil or for an alternate use canola or corn oil
2lbs of soaked garbanzo beans
1 whole onion quartered
3 garlic cloves
½ bunch of cilantro
¼ bunch of parsley
¼ bunch of basil
¼ bunch of mint
1 lime (zest and juice)
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of tahini
1 ½ tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
1. In a food processor, place soaked garbanzo beans and pulse until coarse. Then add the onion, garlic, and jalapeno. Pulse again until everything is combined.
2. Add water, EVOO, cilantro, parsley, basil, mint and pulse once again until everything is combined.
3. Add the zest of the lime and the juice, and then add the smoked paprika, cumin, tahini, salt and pepper. Pulse once more and then adjust consistency if necessary.
4. Heat saucepan to medium heat or you may also use a griddle if it is accessible. Add the peanut or canola/corn oil to the saucepan.
5. Spoon out and flatten patties in pan until golden brown on both sides of patty.
6. Serve falafel on top of Beet Salad to enjoy a very healthy and nutritious meal – for lunch or dinner.